Friday, April 30, 2010

Catholics in crisis (really?)

"Catholics in Crisis" is the headline to this story in The Week magazine.

You can guess the headline caught my attention for two reasons -- it's more than a bit over the top, and as a Catholic I find any stories suggesting a problem in my Church to be worth reading. Sadly, after getting through a few paragraphs, I opted to stop reading.

The story offers little in the way of new or fresh information about the pedophile scandal and the Church's woefully ineffective response to it. But you shouldn't let my conclusion influence your decision; read it and draw your own conclusions.

The media must continue to cover this story, but offering rehashing of old information while crying for attention with words such as "crisis" is not the way to get at it.

No comments: