Saturday, April 17, 2010

Remembering

I got into a fantastic conversation yesterday with two colleagues who teach at Kent State University. If you are student of American history you know that it was there almost exactly 40 years ago where a group of students was fatally shot by the National Guard.

Each year, the university hosts a conference to commemorate what happened there on that fateful May day in 1970. This year the conference is drawing particular attention because of the 40th anniversary.

I've been on the Kent State campus once, and I was 2 years old when the shootings took place, so for me the importance of the event is experienced through books, other readings and people who experienced it first-hand.

If you are close enough to northeast Ohio and can make it to the event, I'm sure you'll get a first-hand lecture and conversation that will be worth your time.

No comments: