Tuesday, May 04, 2010

CNN really is the most...

...trusted name in news. Really?

I can't make this up -- 32 percent of Americans surveyed in a recent 60 Minutes-Vanity Fair poll (60 Minutes and Vanity Fair????) say CNN is the most trustworthy news source.

Closely behind, at 29 percent, is FOX News.

While the CNN and FOX News numbers surprise me, the numbers for two of America's leading newspapers disappoints me. I find it hard to believe that the New York Times and the Wall Street Journal received only 8 and 7 percent, respectively.

There are a couple of "hmmm, that bothers me" items I see in this poll -- the choices you will see on the chart referenced above were the only ones available to the respondent. No MSNBC, for example.

Next, why are the over-the-air television networks lumped together?

Third, how and why were the two newspapers selected? For example, the Washington Post wouldn't have been omitted because it is a polling partner of ABC News, would it?

Fourth, doesn't the inclusion of The Daily Show suggest a comparison of apples to an orange? In other words, the other choices represent mainstream news organizations, but The Daily Show is an individual program.

In short, this poll is not one I would put much stock in.

No comments: