Tuesday, May 04, 2010

Dealing with the past

I was only 2-1/2 at the time, so I don't remember the events of May 4, 1970 at Kent State University. But I am struck by the way the university has embraced (and I choose that word carefully) what took place in the days leading up to and during the tragedy 40 years ago.

I'm sure you are aware of a community that tries to bury its historical black mark as if pretending it didn't happen will somehow make it go away. What a terrible mistake. Sure, what Kent State is doing ensures that the stigma (again, a carefully chosen word) of May 4, 1970 will not soon be erased.

But we are wise to remember that people who forget the past are doomed to repeat it. You should consider a series of reports from the Cleveland Plain-Dealer to assist you in learning more about May 4, 1970.

No comments: