Wednesday, August 25, 2010

And still I wonder why

The point, if you ask me, of this long piece from The Atlantic is that sexual orientation matters.

Why?

I'm not trying to be flippant. Rather, I'm still trying to understand why our society cares about the sexual orientation of any one individual. I know part of the answer is because some people have a deep-rooted fear or hate of people they define as "different."

Why?

I also know that part of the answer is that the media turn to stories such as a person's alleged or real sexual orientation in order to drive controversy and boost ratings or circulation.

Why?

And I suppose part of the answer is that homosexuality engenders a debate about whether it is genetic or learned.

Why?

I work with people who are gay. I work with people who are straight. I work with people who undoubtedly have their sexual orientation questioned because of the way they act or dress or because "they're that age and have never been married."

Why?

No comments: