Monday, August 23, 2010

This is not your father's Republican Party

A well-written editorial from the Washington Post's E.J. Dionne that points out the inconsistencies between the current brand that is the Republican Party and the one that existed just a generation ago.

I think more needs to be said about the ability of these alleged Republicans to spread their message because of popular media figures such as Glenn Beck and, of course, new and social media. I look at people such as Beck and Sarah Palin, and I too often come to the conclusion that what they are doing has little to do with political persuasion and more to do with ego enhancement.

No, I'm not suggesting that Democrats are a noble, altruistic lot; their party also is filled with loud mouths who, I think, are more interested in seeing themselves on television than in bringing about meaningful policy change. What I am saying is that I cannot believe (don't want to believe?) that legitimate, rock-ribbed, true Republicans are willing to sacrifice the virtues of the party just to win an election come November.

Tell me I'm correct. 

No comments: