...which college football teams come closest to being a "national" name?
In other words, which programs have a strong enough name and reputation that you can find a sizable fan base (almost) everywhere you are?
Here's my top ten --
10. Boise State: America loves an underdog, and the Broncos still are.
9. Miami: The name isn't as sexy (or corrupted and out of control) as it once was, but as the Hurricanes continue to inch their way back into the national conversation they remain popular.
8. Florida State: See Miami, without the corruption and out of control characteristics.
7. Michigan: Another name that isn't as dazzling as before, but the Wolverines still have cache.
6. Texas: The 'Horns are often plenty good, and there are enough people inside and outside that state who will tell you all about it.
5. USC: Not sure how long the Trojans will remain in the top ten. Too much damage has been done to the image because of greed, corruption and incompetence.
4. Alabama: Bandwagon is pretty full these days.
3. Penn State: JoePa, JoePa, Joe Pa.
2. Ohio State: What's not to like (unless you can't stand this team)?
1. Nebraska: It's understandable why there are so many Nebraska fans across the country -- they got the heck out of there.