Sunday, August 14, 2011

My niece is 1

How is it possible that my niece was born one year ago?

Today, our family celebrates the birthday of that cute little girl who was born...12 months ago! As I held her last night (and when my wife and I walked in the room and she opted for me to hold her, I admit I was a happy camper!), I thought about the many, many things that have happened over the past year.

Whether they be professional accomplishments (or frustrations), moments of personal satisfaction (or disappointment), conversations with family, reunions with friends or anything else you can think about, I found it hard to believe how much can take place in 12 months and how quickly that time goes by.

I was already reminded this summer of the rapid passage of time; on the final day of school, my 12-year-old ran to me and hopped in the car for a ride home. There was a moment when I looked at him that my breath was taken away; at that moment I grasped that warning all parents are given -- don't blink because they grow so quickly.

There was my almost teenager and soon-to-be 7th grader running to me, and all I could see was the baby I had held in my arms. On that February day, I was a nervous and awkward father, with so much to learn about parenthood.

Yes, birthdays are wonderful markers to assess what has happened in a person's life over those preceding 12 months. Our niece adds to our family all those wonderful gifts that little girls bring.

And when I get to hold her, I experience those emotions of love, kindness and friendship.

But does she need to grow up so quickly!

No comments: