Tuesday, November 08, 2011

When Joe Paterno addresses the media...

...his statement needs to say something like this:

"I want to begin by repeating something I said the other day. We need to pray for the young men and their families who are in pain and who are in need of answers. Nothing that happens over the next days, weeks and months is more important than those people having the strength they need to get through talking about and dealing with what they say happened when they were kids.

Jerry Sandusky has been my friend for more than 30 years. I, like so many people, am trying to figure out how the man we know is accused of doing such reprehensible things to so many kids.

I know a lot of people want to know what I did, and what I didn't do, when I learned about the accusations against Jerry.

I did what I thought was the right thing to do -- I told my boss. And when I did, I believed that he was doing everything to learn more.

Did I ever personally ask Jerry if he was molesting kids? No. I never would have imagined him doing such things.

Did I ever confront Jerry and tell him that there were many people saying he had done some awful things? No.

Did I talk to the athletic director to get an update on what was going on? No. 

If there were signs Jerry was doing something awful, then I missed them.

Yes, I should have done more. I am very sorry I didn't.

The question all of you want to ask is, am I going to quit because of this? No.

I'm refusing to quit not because I think I did the right thing or because I'm not part of the investigation that the attorney general is handling. I'm not quitting because I'm not a quitter. I've taught that all my life to the players I've had here. You don't quit when things are going bad. You stay. You fight.

Look, I'm angry. I'm angry that a man I thought I know is now accused of doing terrible things to innocent kids. I want to look Jerry in the eye and ask him why!

I'm angry that two other people I worked with for a long time are accused of perjury.

There are a lot of issues that Penn State has to look into and deal with. I want to be part of that.

Thank you."




No comments: