Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Loss and ache

The debate about America's role in Iraq (thankfully in my opinion) never came down to supporting the men and women who wore the military uniform.

With that as a backdrop, please take the time to read this USA Today story that explores how West Point remembers its graduates who died in Iraq or elsewhere at some point over the past 10 years.

I have stated more than once on this blog that it's possible that President Bush's legacy will include making Americans proud of their military. Spare me the pithy argument that he was dealt that hand because of the Sept. 11 attacks. And spare me the nonsense that unless Iraq and Afghanistan become democratic and safe nations that America failed in sending troops there.

Yes, we can argue the merits (or lack of same) in sending the military to Iraq and Afghanistan in the first place. But the blanket Bush bashing isn't going to fly here. Oh, and in case you were wondering -- no, I don't think we should have sent troops to either country, but I do think the surge proved decisive

No comments: