Monday, January 02, 2012

Dear Canada, I apologize for the idiots in Philadelphia (2x UPDATED AT BOTTOM)

Before I dive into this post, I'm going to confess a bias -- I love Canada. Though I've not spent a lot of time in that country, I admire its natural beauty and its people.

Because of my bias, the occasional stupid behavior of Americans toward the Canadian national anthem especially angers me.

On Monday, that idiocy was on display in Philadelphia, where "O' Canada" was booed before the NHL's Winter Classic.

There's never an excuse for such rudeness.

Spare me the comments that include "oh, come on, the folks in Philly boo everybody." Those words don't wash with me. Not today. Not tomorrow. Not ever.

I'll ask you to remember the 1992 World Series between Toronto and Atlanta. Prior to Game 2 in Atlanta, a U.S. Marine Corps Color Guard inadvertently flew the Canadian flag upside down during the national anthems. It requested to be allowed to travel to Canada for Game 3 and to correct its error. That is how to properly handle a bad situation.

The people in Philadelphia who opted to show their immaturity would be wise to remember what a group of Marines did almost 20 years ago.

2nd UPDATE: 5:20 p.m. EST: Let's go to the video, in an attempt to get an answer.

After watching the singing of the Canadian national anthem four different times, I am revising my post.

I am confident you will hear booing from at least one person (a male voice, in my opinion) at the beginning of the anthem. I could use that immature display to boast that I am correct and that my blog post should stay as is.

But that would be a mistake, and serve to indicate that I am interested only in proving my point. The initial boo was not at the root of the did-they-or-didn't-they boo. It was what took place about 1:00 into the anthem. The possible longest and loudest "boo" coincides with Claude Giroux (number 28 for the Flyers), who appears on television and on the stadium's video board at about :58. I think the primary noise was in fact a "ROO" and not a "boo." For those people reading this who are not hockey fans, Giroux's last name is pronounced "Guh-ROO."

To the man/woman who made that assertion, therefore, I think you are correct. My blanket criticism above in hindsight appears to have been based on my emotional attachment to Canada, my belief that all people should always display respect for every nation's anthem and Philadelphia's reputation for booing.

Yes, everyone needs to be reminded from time to time to practice what they preach. In this case, that lesson is to always be careful about jumping to conclusions. And to listen. Carefully.

1st UPDATE: 4:57 p.m. EST: In the comments section, you will note there is at least one reader of this post saying that I made a big mistake in creating it. He/she suggests that the fans inside the stadium were responding to Claude Giroux on the video board by saying "ROOOOOOOO."

You'll also see my response -- indicating that I believed it was booing, but that I would definitely retract the post if I was wrong.

So, I need some additional and reasonable opinions here. What did you hear? (Or, more specifically, what do you believe you heard?)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

For someone with a Ph.D., you'd think you could have spent 2 minutes researching that fans were chanting "ROOOOOOOO" as an image of Claude Giroux was shown on the video screen. They were not booing anything. Take your unfounded outrage elsewhere.

Anthony Moretti said...

Anonymous: If you are correct, then a whole lot of people in the States and Canada missed that. And I'm not alone in saying there were boos...not ROOOOs. More importantly, if you are correct, and I will look into it, then I will retract the post and admit I was wrong.

Anonymous said...

They were chanting USA, USA, USA during the Canadian anthem so I doubt that was Rooos but rather boos. It is completely disrespectful. Is Philly unaware that 16 of their players come from Canada, 8 from European nations, and only 5 from the United States and therefore they are essentially booing their own team.

Anonymous said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAdG-jP8bdE -- Before Giroux was even on the team. Philly has a history of this behavior.

Derek Rasian said...

I live in Canada and if there was booing, who cares? My question is why were they playing the Canadian Nation Anthem in Philadelphia when there wasn't a Canadian Team in the game? Of course people are going to boo. They are standing and being forced to listen to an anthem for a country they choose not to live in and there is no justified reason to play the anthem. Stop all the complaining about the anthem, it shouldn't have been played in the first place.

Derek Rasian said...

I live in Canada and if there was booing, who cares? My question is why were they playing the Canadian Nation Anthem in Philadelphia when there wasn't a Canadian Team in the game? Of course people are going to boo. They are standing and being forced to listen to an anthem for a country they choose not to live in and there is no justified reason to play the anthem. Stop all the complaining about the anthem, it shouldn't have been played in the first place.

Lauren said...

Derek,
The original 6 of the national hockey league were comprised of teams from Canada and America. Since the NHL is comprised of teams from both nations, and the winter classic is televised in both nations, out of respect both national anthems are played. This also happens at all games that are on border cities such as Buffalo or Detroit out of sheer respect for all fans of the National Hockey League who come to watch the game. Also, both national anthems will be played at games where the game is being televised in both nations, such as the NHL all-star game. This year it will be in Ottawa so you will hear the Canadian and American National anthem.