Monday, January 09, 2012

Even in the snow...

...a tour of Washington is beautiful.

Mother Nature threw the nation's capital a surprise this afternoon. The forecast called for temperatures in the mid-40s and possible rain.

But as students and faculty in this week's politics and the media academic seminar boarded the buses for our city tour, the snow was falling.

I didn't plan on getting off the bus at our first stop, but seeing the snow atop the soldiers at the Iwo Jima Memorial was too good to pass up.

I did skip the longer second stop, when the heaviest of the snow was falling. If you are familiar with heavy, wet snow, then you know what that can feel like.

But once we got to one of my favorites -- the World War II Memorial -- the need to capture the moment got the best of me.

With large lights illuminating the memorial, the ability to capture the falling snow was possible. No, I'm not a professional photographer, but I am rather proud of this picture.

Our final stop was the MLK Memorial, which I had never seen in person. It was worth it.

 Here again, the illumination helped me.

I love this city.

No comments: