Sunday, January 22, 2012

Rep. Gabrielle Giffords is stepping down

Arizona congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords continues her miraculous recovery after being shot a little more than one year ago. Today, as the Los Angeles Times reports, she made an important announcement about her (short-term) political future.
In a video posted to YouTube, Giffords, dressed in office attire, also provides more insight into her struggles to recover from a massive brain injury. "I don't remember much from that horrible day," she says of the shooting rampage on Jan. 8, 2011, that killed six and wounded 14. (Watch video below.)

"Arizona is my home, always will be. A lot has happened over the past year. We cannot change that. But I know on the issues we fought for we can change things for the better. Jobs, border security, veterans. We can do so much more by working together," Giffords says.
Here is the link to Rep. Giffords announcement.

Remember what she said -- she is not going away. She is merely doing what she has to do now to be stronger.

Earlier this month, the students who I was supervising at The Washington Center's politics and media seminar had the opportunity to visit her office. There, we met her legislative aide and her staff assistant.

As the students and I gathered later for a conversation, I suggested to them that I had come to the conclusion that Ms. Giffords would not run for re-election. It was my opinion, I told them, that by listening to our hosts that she had come to the conclusion that she wanted to be healthier and stronger before she stood before Arizonans and said she was working for them.

My hope is that Rep. Giffords is able to run -- for whatever office might interest her -- as early as 2014. Granted, the office she seeks might not come open until 2016, but my point is that I want to see her be her best.

I'll keep saying it: Go Gabby Go!!

No comments: