Wednesday, January 04, 2012

Scratch another name off the Penn State football coaching list

NESN reported late Tuesday that Bill O'Brien, the New England Patriots' offensive coordinator, is no longer interested in the Penn State head coaching job.
Patriots offensive coordinator Bill O'Brien will not be taking over as head coach at Penn State.
According to CBS Sports' Charley Casserly, O'Brien will not become the Nittany Lions' coach, a report that comes on the heels of rumors that the New England coordinator was the school's top choice for the position.
Penn State has reportedly interviewed 49ers offensive coordinator Greg Roman, and it plans to take another shot at Boise State head coach Chris Petersen.
The San Jose Mercury News also notes that Roman is leaving little doubt that he'd like to make the move to State College

Offensive coordinator Greg Roman said Tuesday his focus is "100 percent" on the 49ers playoff run, but that becoming coach at Penn State would be "a lifetime job."

"I've coached in college at Stanford and in the pros for 14 years in the NFL, so it's more about the individual opportunity, the people you're surrounding yourself with," Roman told 97.3 ESPN in his native New Jersey. "And a job like Penn State is a lifetime job. That's a job if I were to become the head coach there, I'd wouldn't leave there.

"... That's a very unique opportunity at Penn State, so that's something I'd definitely consider strongly. But I love where I'm at right now. I love the (49ers) organization here. I love how it's structured. I love how we interact. I love how we solve problems."

A native of Ventnor, N.J., Roman is a finalist to replace Joe Paterno at embattled Penn State.
Needless to say, Penn State -- the only FBS program without a head football coach -- needs to make a decision immediately: Recruits are abandoning the program.

No comments: