Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Speaker Boehner, please show some warmth

Let me preface this post by saying I'm biased -- I don't know Gabrielle Giffords but I think the world of her. She's shown more toughness and strength than I think I would have as she continues to recover from that terrible January 2011 day when she and several others were shot.

Today, Rep. Giffords formally resigns her House seat. Last night, she was in the House chamber to watch the State of the Union address by President Obama.

Members of the 112th Congress roared their approval when she arrived. Well, almost all of them. Check out how Speaker of the House John Boehner responded.

Now, again, I admit I'm biased in my admiration for Rep. Giffords, and I hope to one day have a chance to meet her and tell her many of the things I've written here. But I think Speaker Boehner's applause was muted and lacking in warmth. By my count, he looks away at least three times. Let's not forget that this is a man known for publicly displaying tears, so spare me the argument that he's not one to show emotion.

In this video, contrast him to Vice President Biden and then to President Obama.

And, yes, you are absolutely encouraged to disagree with me. If I'm wrong, I'll admit it.

No comments: